In the article it is spoken about Getting an Online Business Degree. Online business degrees are growing in popularity. Even some of the better colleges and universities are starting to offer their programs online. And with today’s age of the internet everything from banking to ordering pizza online is possible, both the pros and cons of getting an online business degree should be examined to determine whether it is worth it.
Online business degrees certainly appeal to a specific type of person and for many individuals, it must be concluded that it is worth it. For example, stay-at-home parents, seniors, and others that are so pressed for time that their work schedules do not permit them to attend an institute during normal hours, would most benefit from obtaining an online business degree. Transportation and restricted mobility are added reasons to stay at home and study. But, for other individuals, the idea may not be well-received and there are many people who do better in a social, classroom setting.
Here is our list of the most important advantages and disadvantages of obtaining business degrees online.
- Flexible Schedules are a great reason to stay at home and study. Many people work shift work or have young children and simply cannot attend classes when offered. By enrolling in an online program, students can schedule their workload around their other duties.
- Being able to study at one’s own pace is perfect for individuals who must work slower than others. In a classroom environment, there is more structure and some tend to get behind. By studying online, one is able to find the time to understand the work in a more comfortable manner.
- Gradually many more accredited institutions are offering their business degree programs online. This makes it more acceptable to take courses.
- By working in one’s home office, there are less distractions from partying, noisy roommates, and other on-campus activities.
- Because the cost of living on campus is so expensive, some students cannot attend universities and colleges. By undergoing a business degree online, one is not limited to where one lives or to where one can travel.
- Business degrees are not about working alone. Usually once a student graduates, the idea is to work for a company or organization. Working at home means that no networking is available and that can be a detriment in this field, both from learning how to socialize in a corporate setting, and also, by hearing about job opportunities that might exist.
- Even though some of the online colleges offer email help and forums for students, online students miss out on tutorials and other resources available to on-site students.
- People that study at home must be self-reliant and highly organized in order to work without supervision. While it is true that students in the classroom follow their own routine for homework, the instructor sets the pace. If an assignment is required for the next day, then students must come prepared. In the home, however, it is quite easy to procrastinate and thus, not complete the work in a reasonable amount of time. It takes a certain type of person who has the time management skills to carry a course load until completion.
- Distractions at home cause another set of problems. From the phone ringing to children crying, working outside the classroom can be bothersome.
- Many online courses are not accredited and some are scams. The degrees hold no value in the real world.
- Online business degrees are still not considered mainstream. While some employers are accepting job applicants with these degrees, the question still remains – How quick can one secure a job against someone who went to a mainstream college or well-known university like Harvard?